Homeless man will get $400000 raised for him, GoFundMe says

Search warrant carried out at home of New Jersey couple accused of misusing money raised for homeless man

Search warrant carried out at home of New Jersey couple accused of misusing money raised for homeless man

The couple's home was raided on Thursday and a new BMW along with a number of boxes were hauled away by police.

Authorities have executed a search warrant at the home of a New Jersey couple who raised $400,000 online for a homeless good Samaritan who now claims they mismanaged the cash. The couple was reportedly home at the time, and D'Amico was seen aimlessly swinging a golf club outside while the search was conducted. "Further updates will be provided as circumstances warrant".

Johnny Bobbitt, the homeless man who spent his last $20 to buy gas for a woman when she became stranded on a highway in Philadelphia previous year, will receive the full balance of the money raised in his name on GoFundMe. They said he stole from them and pawned some of their possessions for cash to feed his drug habit, allegations he denies.

"I am not going to allow you to be their voice anymore", said Dow, a former state attorney general, according to the Associated Press.

The couple last month said that they purchased a camper and a used SUV for Bobbitt, although both remained in McClure's name.

Bobbitt, 35, captured national headlines past year after giving McClure, 28, his last $20 to buy gas when her auto broke down on Interstate 95 near Philadelphia, where he was living under a bridge. But a day after the deadline passed, a lawyer for Bobbitt said there is no money left to surrender.

In an interview with Good Morning America last November - one of several national media appearances that McClure did with Bobbitt after their GoFundMe campaign went viral - McClure described the encounter that inspired her and D'Amico to set up the GoFundMe.

In August, Bobbitt accused the couple of withholding the money that rightfully belonged to him and improperly using the funds for themselves.

The couple were ordered to turn over the funds to Bobbitt last week, but it never happened. Bobbitt used $20 he had collected from panhandling that day to buy her gas.




Bobby Whithorne, a spokesperson with GoFundMe, said the company is working with Bobbitt's legal team to ensure he gets support - in the form of $20,000 to a bank account - while the remaining money is recovered.

As The Washington Post previously reported, McClure and D'Amico started the crowdfunding campaign after Bobbitt came to McClure's rescue on the side of the road in October 2017.

The page was titled "Paying it Forward", and the response was incredible: 14,347 people donated $402,706 over the course of 10 months.

In court on Wednesday, Badway said that Bobbitt had received $200,000 but was not clear as to how much was left.

- GoFundMe announced they will give homeless vet Johnny Bobbitt the $400,000 raised for him.

"As of this time, there have been no charges filed", Burlington County prosecutor Scott A. Coffina said in a statement.

The couple's attorney, Ernest Badway, refused to comment on the search and whether or not they'd show up to be deposed.

The company assured customers that although Bobbitt's case in unusual, they have "taken steps to prevent this extremely unique situation from occurring again".

According to Fallon, Bobbitt has a drug addiction problem and plans to participate in a monthlong rehab program. At the request of Bobbitt's attorney, the judge has shut the suit down until at least December.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.