US Reaches Deal With China's ZTE - Secretary of Commerce

US Reaches Deal With China's ZTE - Secretary of Commerce

US Reaches Deal With China's ZTE - Secretary of Commerce

Reuters says that the deal will include ZTE paying a $1 billion fine for violating usa sanctions, as well as putting additional funds in escrow in case of any future violations.

The sources requested anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the matter.

U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross announced that ZTE will pay a $1 billion fine for its recent violations.

The measure planned in the Senate would retroactively impose sanctions originally levied against ZTE, reversing the consent agreement signed on Thursday, Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer said.

ZTE's survival has been a topic of discussion in high-level U.S.




According to reports out of China, ZTE has been making plans to resume manufacturing within hours from the official lift of the US embargo, which deprived it of crucial USA -made components including SoCs, radio chips, and software. Not only that, but the entire board and executive teams must be fully replaced within 30 days from the time of signing the agreement.

A month ago, we reported that ZTE was on life support and had made a decision to mostly pause operations after being given a hefty ban from the United States government over lies it told as a part of a previous agreement stemming from related illegal shipments of products to Iran.

Washington and Beijing have pursued a halting series of trade talks, with Trump demanding a $200 billion reduction in its yawning trade deficit with China.

"By letting ZTE off the hook, the president who roared like a lion is governing like a lamb when it comes to China", the New York Democrat said on Twitter. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) has floated a proposal for Congress to block this sort of deal. In a memo to staff, Chairman Yin Yimin said ZTE would look to get back into business as soon as possible, and hold those responsible for the breach accountable, a company source said. This settlement is in response to the U.S. Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) denial order that was imposed as a result of ZTE violating its March 2017 settlement agreement. Shenzhen-based ZTE has a subsidiary in Richardson, Texas. While it did fire the four employees, the company admitted to making false statements about the others, handing out full bonuses. The deal will allow the company to restart operations after it pays a $1 billion fine and installs US compliance officers to monitor its activity. As a result, BIS activated a suspended denial order against the company which effectively prohibited them from using USA -built components in their devices and selling their products in the States.

The Commerce Department denial order prevented ZTE from utilizing key technology from U.S. suppliers like Qualcomm and and Broadcom, making it hard to produce smartphones or telecommunications equipment. The Pentagon earlier this month ordered retail outlets on US military bases to remove from the shelves smartphones made by the two companies. The U.S.is maintaining its 10-year export ban on ZTE, but the ban is indefinitely suspended and is likely to remain suspended if ZTE complies with the U.S. trade laws.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.