ZTE will reportedly pay over $1 billion to lift U.S. ban

China's ZTE said it ceased major operations last month due to the ban

China's ZTE said it ceased major operations last month due to the ban

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said Thursday that the Trump administration has a struck a deal with Chinese telecom giant ZTE.

Ross, speaking on CNBC today, said that a compliance team picked by the us will be embedded at ZTE.

This week there were several reports that the us and China had reached the broad outlines of a deal during Ross's recent trip to Beijing.

The U.S. and China are in a race to build the first 5G network, in part because it means jobs.

It appears that ZTE could be "back in business" after being consigned to the technological wasteland for breaking last year's deal concerning illegal telecom shipments to Iran and North Korea.

According to reports out of China, ZTE has been making plans to resume manufacturing within hours from the official lift of the USA embargo, which deprived it of crucial US -made components including SoCs, radio chips, and software.

Total US penalties imposed on ZTE now amount to $2.3 billion, according to the Commerce Department. The U.S. position has been that the fine is a law enforcement action, which should not be included in the discussions around trade.

The deal which ZTE has agreed to would see the company pay a $1 billion fine, with $400 million in escrow should the company break the terms of agreement again. It would also allow unfettered site visits to verify that USA components are being used as claimed by the company and post calculations of US parts in its products on a public website.




In mid-April, the United States Department of Commerce slapped ZTE with a Denial Order over an issue it had with us sanctions in 2017. ZTE claimed to have stopped doing business in Iran in 2012 but secretly resumed operations there the next year.

The company paid $892 million in fines, with an additional $300 million suspended to encourage compliance with the settlement.

A ZTE spokesman couldn't be reached for comment.

For the last month, Chinese smartphone giant ZTE has been largely shut down after the Trump administration banned United States firms from selling it technology.

Shares in NXP Semiconductors NV rose 3.8 per cent in early trading in NY after news of the ZTE deal was announced.

Critics like senator Marco Rubio have criticized the Trump administration's willingness to cut a deal with ZTE, saying it undercuts United States national security.

Thursday's agreement was "a prerequisite for making broader progress", DeBusk said.

A sign of ZTE Corp is pictured at its service centre in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, China May 14, 2018. The two sides had threatened each other with waves of new tariffs on tens of billions of dollars of exports. NeoPhotonics (NPTN) rose 1.6% to 7.15, while Oclaro (OCLR) climbed 1.4% to 9.18.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.