11 killed, dozens hurt in Indonesia church attacks

Bombings in Indonesian churches has killed two

Bombings in Indonesian churches has killed two

Suicide bombers made up of a household of six - together with kids and youths - rode in on bikes and attacked three church buildings in Indonesia throughout Sunday Mass, killing at the least 11 individuals and wounding dozens extra, police and media stories stated.

East Java police spokesman Senior Commissioner Frans Barung Mangera said 13 people were confirmed dead and 41 who were injured were being treated at several hospitals in Surabaya as of Sunday evening.

Seven people were killed, six of them foreigners, and more than 40 were injured when suicide bombers targetted the luxury Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott hotels in Jakarta in July 2009.

National Police Chief Gen. Tito Karnavian, who immediately flew to Surabaya, is expected to hold a press conference at the East Java Police Headquarters later in the day to provide details of the Surabaya bombings.

Indonesia, the most populous Muslim-majority country, has witnessed a number of attacks, claimed by Islamist militancy in recent past.

President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo visited the scenes of the attacks and described them as "cowardly actions" that were "very barbaric and beyond the limit of humanity".

Police cordoned off the areas that were attacked by suicide bombers.

In Jakarta, the Indonesian Church Association strongly condemned the attacks and called on people to wait on authorities to investigate.




In the hours before the church attacks, national police spokesman Setyo Wasisto announced on that four suspected terrorists had been killed during a police raid overnight in Cianjur, West Java.

Separately, an internal police report reviewed by Reuters said a suspected bomb exploded in a auto in the parking lot of a Pentacostal church, setting alight dozens of motorbikes.

The church attacks were likely linked to the prison hostage standoff, said Wawan Purwanto, communication director at Indonesia's intelligence agency. Police said two sons, 18 and 16, detonated a bomb after driving a motorcycle onto the grounds. In a 3rd assault, at Pantekosta Church, two extra died, police stated. Officials suspect a group inspired by the "Islamic State" carried out the attacks.

Sunday's bombings, which the Islamic State group has claimed, are the deadliest in Indonesia since 2005.

The attacks came early Sunday morning and targeted multiple churches in the city during their early worship services.

The first attack was at 7:30 a.m.at the Santa Maria Catholic Church.

Islamic State claimed responsibility after Indonesia launched a crackdown on militants following bombings by radical is Bali in 2002 killed 202 people.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.